Personal Auto

Most states require that auto insurance is purchased if you operate a vehicle. It protects you from financial losses such as vehicle repairs, medical bills, and legal services that could result from an auto accident. Your insurance policy is made up of a variety of both mandatory and optional coverages.

Bodily Injury Liability:  Covers injury you may cause others including coverage for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering, etc.

Property Damage Liability:  This pays for damage you cause to the property of others such as a crushed fender, broken glass, or a damaged wall or fence.

Medical Payments Liability:  Coverage pays for medical or funeral expenses for you or others injured or killed in an accident while riding or driving your vehicle up to the limits chosen.  Typically, medical payments usually cover expenses not covered by health insurance, such as co-pays or deductibles. It also provides coverage to you or your family if you are struck by another vehicle while walking.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP or No-fault):  May include limits for medical expenses, disability or loss of income, in-home services, rehabilitation, and funeral burial or cremation costs, as defined in your specific policy wording which varies by state.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage:  This coverage applies to bodily injury you, your family, or other occupants of your vehicle that are incurred when hit by an uninsured motorist or a hit-and-run driver.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage:  This increases the bodily injury protection to you and the people in your car up to the amount of coverage you purchase if the at-fault party’s bodily injury insurance limits are lower than your Underinsured Motorist Coverage limits.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage:  Provides protection for property damage caused by an uninsured motorist. This coverage is only available for vehicles for which you have not purchased collision coverage. *Not available in all states

Comprehensive Coverage:  Pays for damage to your auto for fire, vandalism, water, hail, glass breakage, wind, falling objects, civil commotion, or hitting an animal. A deductible typically applies.

Collision Coverage:  Pays for damage to your car if you collide into an object, including another vehicle, a hit-and-run driver, or if it overturns. A deductible typically applies.

Emergency Roadside Assistance/Towing coverage:  Towing of a covered vehicle if it is disabled. Some policies will pay for limited labor costs when necessary due to a covered emergency.  Assistance could include battery jump-start, flat tire change, emergency fuel and fluid delivery, and locksmith services.

Rental Reimbursement:  Reimburses the cost of renting a car as a temporary replacement. The vehicle being replaced must be an insured car that is unavailable for use because it is damaged, stolen, or destroyed in an overaged loss.

Carriers will often add additional optional coverages such as:

  • Loan Lease (Gap Coverage)
  • Extended Non-Owned Coverage
  • Pet Injury Coverage
  • Trip Interruption Coverage

Most states require that you carry at least $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $10,000 for property damage liability. The WRC Agency feels strongly that these limits are not adequate, and will not sell a policy with limits less than $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident, and $100,000 for property damage liability. The WRC Agency does encourage you to purchase higher limits as many options are available.