Commercial Auto

Protection is needed for your business if:

  • Your business owns, leases, or rents any vehicles.
  • Employees drive company owned, leased, or rented vehicles.
  • Employees drive their own vehicles while conducting business.
  • You or your employees drive company cars for both business and personal use.
  • Your vehicle is owned or leased by a partnership, corporation, or DBA.

Coverages Include:

Bodily Injury Liability:  Covers injury you may cause others including coverage for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering, etc.

Property Damage Liability:  This pays for damage you cause to the property of others such as a crushed fender, broken glass, or a damaged wall or fence.

Medical Payments Liability:  Coverage pays for medical or funeral expenses for you or others injured or killed in an accident while riding or driving your vehicle up to the limits chosen.  Typically, medical payments usually cover expenses not covered by health insurance, such as co-pays or deductibles. It also provides coverage to you or your family if you are struck by another vehicle while walking.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP or No-fault):  May Include limits for medical expenses, disability or loss of income, in-home services, rehabilitation, and funeral burial or cremation costs, as defined in your specific policy wording which varies by state for the minimum requirements. *Not available in all states.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage:  This coverage applies to bodily injury you, your family, or other occupants of your vehicle that are incurred when hit by an uninsured motorist or a hit and run driver.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage:  This increases the bodily injury protection to you and the people in your car up to the amount of coverage you purchase if the at-fault party’s bodily injury insurance limits are lower than your Underinsured Motorist Coverage limits.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage:  Provides protection for property damage caused by an uninsured motorist. This coverage is only available for vehicles for which you have not purchased collision coverage. *Not available in all states.

Comprehensive Coverage:  Pays for damage to your auto for fire, vandalism, water, hail, glass breakage, wind, falling objects, civil commotion, or hitting an animal. A deductible typically applies.

Collision Coverage:  Pays for damage to your car if you collide into an object, including another car, a hit-and-run driver, or if it overturns. A deductible typically applies.

Coverage is also going to apply when loading or unloading merchandise and someone is injured.

Other typical coverages found are:

Hired Auto Coverage:  Coverage is extended to work vehicles you rent on a short-term basis.

Non-Owned Auto Liability Coverage:  Liability coverage is extended in case your employee causes an accident using their own car for company business.

Commercial auto insurance can also encompass larger trucks (over 10,000lbs) that are used in farming, hauling for hire, shuttle services, etc. Policies for these types of risks will include additional types of coverage meeting the unique needs of those business types.

Be sure to read the policy carefully to understand all coverages, limitations, and exclusions.